Transportation and Health
The Martin MPO is committed to furthering the Livable Communities Initiative that was adopted with the previous, 2035 Long Range Transportation Plan.
The LCI is defined the in the United States Code 49 Section 5309(a)(5) and (7). The objectives of the LCI are to improve mobility and quality of life though improvements that encourage the use of alternative transportation modes. These objectives are accomplished through broad-based strategies such as the following:
- Linking communities to public transportation
- Developing transit-supportive land uses
- Creating a more positive environment for bicyclists and pedestrian s
- Obtaining support of stakeholders
- Encouraging innovative urban design
Characteristics for livable communities include community participation in the decision-making process; well-planned mixed-use neighborhoods; transit, pedestrian, and bicycle access that is compatible with land use; and safety, security, and accessibility for all users of the transportation system.